July 9th, 2009

I need another word. Got one?

It's a word from network design, and it means the process of mapping nodes in terms of their connections to other nodes. Node A isn't "Bob's machine on the 21st floor," it's "machine connected to Router 1, router 4, bridge 6, RAID 33, and internet pipe 81." And there's a word for that kind of redefinition, and that's the word I'm trying to come up with.

My old network engineer was Chinese and of limited English, and so I usually got such reports in what amounted to pantomime. It worked; all I needed to know was that what was needed to be done was getting done. But *now* I need words. Got one?